Back To Special Sermons
Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
Here Is Life!
There is a story about a merchant in Baghdad.
He sent his servant to the market.
Before long, the servant came back trembling and afraid.
He said to his master: "Down in the market place I was jostled by a woman in the crowd,
and when I turned around, I saw that it was Death that jostled me.
She looked at me and made a threatening gesture.
Master, please lend me your horse, for I must hasten away to avoid her.
I will ride to Samara, and there I will hide, and Death will not find me."
The merchant lent him his horse and the servant galloped away in great haste.
Later, the merchant went down to the market place and saw Death standing in the crowd.
He went over to her and asked, "Why did you frighten my servant this morning?
Why did you make a threatening gesture?"
"That was not a threatening gesture," said Death. "It was only a start of surprise.
I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I have an appointment with him tonight in Samara."
Hebrews 9:27 says, " It is appointed unto men to die..."
- Each of us has an appointment in Samara.
- Each of us has an appointment with death.
This does not need to be a cause of fear for any of us.
Because of the resurrection of Our Lord, we have an appointment with life.
You are here today to find life!
Paul tells us that death is "the last enemy." (1 Corinthians 15:26)
Death makes us afraid because it separates us from life loved ones.
If we fear death, it is because we are not certain of what we face after we die.
Few people face death, calmly.
- I believe that most everyone here believes that there is a heaven for those who have Christ as their Saviour.
- I also believe that everyone here believes that those without Christ will die forever and forever in hell.
In fact, most of us will do anything we can to postpone death.
All of us do have an appointment with death, and when it comes, we can do nothing to postpone it.
All people die because of their sin.
- Death is inevitable.
- Death is the result of sin.
Romans 3:23 says, "All have sinned..."
Romans 6:23 says, " The wages of sin is death..."
Death is real!
Death is stalking all of us.
In fact, all of us are in the process of dying this very moment!
We know this is true!
The news reports are full of accounts of death.
Every day the young and old die.
The rich and poor, male and female, black, white, red, yellow, and brown -- all of us will keep our appointment with death.
Do you know when you have your appointment with death?
No! And neither do I.
But I do know we must be ready for that appointment with death!
Are you ready?
I also know that people do not like to think or talk about their death.
We are seldom ready to confront this fear.
Most of us prefer to run away from this appointment in Samara.
Most just think, " If I ignore it; it will go away."
Death will never leave you alone.
- It will not go away!
- It will haunt you in your solemn moments.
- It will disturb your sleep.
- It will stalk you at work.
- It will come after you on the highways.
But there is good news!
There is a solution.
Twice in our Scripture are the words, "Do not be afraid."
"Do not be afraid; for I know that you are looking for Jesus who has been crucified.
- Man is afraid when he confronted by God.
- Man is afraid because he knows that he has sinned and that the wages of sin is death.
He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said."
This is the message for you.
He took our place.
- You do not have to be afraid.
- You do not have to be afraid because our Lord Jesus Christ died for us.
He took our sins upon Him.
Jesus made atonement for all our sin.
He paid the price that frees us forever from sin, death, and hell.
The two women went to the tomb expecting to find death.
They did not expect to find life.
- They had seen Jesus die.
- They knew He was dead.
- They had come to the tomb to prepare his body for burial.
- They would perform this one last deed of love for Jesus.
- They did not expect to find an empty tomb.
- They expected death.
They were surprised by life.
The angel told them not to be afraid,
"This Jesus, whom you are seeking, is not dead, but living, just as he had promised. "
Jesus was not dead.
The grave could not hold him.
- He had conquered sin.
- He had conquered sin for all mankind.
- He had also conquered death and hell.
These woman had gone expecting to find death, and instead, found life
The angel commanded, as did Jesus, "Do not be afraid!"
Stop being afraid!
Don't be afraid!
You don't have to fear death anymore!
When sin is forgiven -- life comes!
The stranglehold of death has been broken for good.
Satan and death have no claim on those who live in Christ.
Those whose lives are hid with Christ already live.
Life eternal is already theirs!
Christ atoned for the sins of the entire world, thus removing the cause of death and its eternal consequence -- hell!
When you received Christ as your Saviour, God gave you a life that has no end.
I don't know what you expected when you came to this service, but I know that you can find life here!
- If you came here in your grave clothes, you can leave here in your resurrection clothes!
- If you came here dead in your sins, you can leave here with life everlasting!
You can have eternal life through the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.
When Jesus met the two women, He said more than, "Hello"
He literally said, "Rejoice!"
Yes, rejoice because Jesus is alive!
Life is found here!
- He is not dead!
- He has conquered sin, death, and hell.
- He lives forever as our Redeemer and Saviour.
And because He lives, you too, shall live.
You can have that life!
What a magnificent message!
What good news!
Come to Christ and receive life!
Jesus said, " I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."
Here is life!
Sermon by Dr. Harold L. White
Email Dr. White at email@example.com